Carl W. says:

>On the other hand, I disagree with Jon W.'s claim that nobody in the ND/P2
>world has ever cried sellout at groups like Wilco. When a band known as
>alt-country moves away from twangier sounds - the Old 97s, Wilco, whoever -
>there's usually a comment made to the effect that it seems like a
>combination of "artistic development" and label pressure and/or commercial
>ambition, because as we all know twang doesn't sell.

The way that I look at it, "selling out" means that "artistic development"
isn't in the picture, so even leaving aside the question of whether it's
really a criticism to say that a stylistic change includes a commercial
motivation (in my book, it ain't), from my perspective there's a
healthy-sized difference between the two characterizations.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/