At 12:17 PM -0500  on 3/24/99, Jon Weisberger wrote:

>>From the clipped bit, it reads like he's looking for non-released
>>material, and wants to trade.   As an artist, what's your take on
>>that?
>
>If a record label released material without the consent of the artist,
>wouldn't it be obvious that something rotten was going on?  If so, what's
>the difference here?  The financial principle is an important one, but it's
>not the only one; the principle of an artist's control over what material
>gets into the marketplace is another one, and there's a pretty obvious
>violation of it here.

Well, I've got in my collection stuff that the musician wanted in the
marketplace but the record label declined to release. The argument can
be made both ways. But it seemed obvious to me that the original
message was looking for concert recordings. He also made clear that he
had bought all of Snider's releases, in some cases many times over to
give to friends.

Bob