>  Their recorded efforts don't do
> anything for me. The same is true of the Sovines. Their cassette,
> Owner
> Operator was okay, But their live show kicks ass.

        [Matt Benz]  Well, in our defense, that cassette was done so we
could get used to our studio, see what worked, how to record what where,
blah blah blah. So yeh, it sucked pretty much. There's a real hesitant
quality to most of it, and I don't find myself listening to it ever. But
lessons learned from the tape helped us with most of the cd. And lessons
learned and arguments over this cd will help us with the next one.

        Most of it was recorded live in some fashion, with vocals and
various parts overdubbed, but the end result is pretty damn close to
what we sound like, without the speed factor thrown in, and with extry
touches like mandolin, pedal steel, accordion, dobro, organ, acoustic
guitars, that you generally don't find at a Sovines show.  Altogether,
we think it catches our live sound ok, particulary where I throw off a
ragged half-assed solo. But yeh, it does sound different. I like that
aspect. if the live experience is different than the recorded, that's ok
with me. I like recording songs and adding sounds that I can't do live,
whether that's 3 guitars or a pedal steel part, I do what I hear in my
head, as long as the other fellas put up with me. So far, I've avoided
tympani drums. Live, we're just a different beast. You're just not gonna
see Matt and Bob with acoustic guitars playing Drinks After Church, but
neither are we gonna record it the way we play it live, cos it would
suck on disc that way.

        I mean, most of our shows, we don't get to stretch out, we don't
have an acoustic set, we rarely have the luxury of time; we treat em as
a hit and run, blast em and get off the stage, so a certain "quality" is
lost when translated to recording, but other qualities show up. I hope.

        Anyway, the whole damn thing will be available next month, on
Kingpin Records, with a cd release partay here in Columbus on May 14th.
Gotta have one of those to really humble yerself. Anyone interested in
obtaining a copy, lemme know. I'm sure there will be piles of em in my
living room for awhile.