I agree with Jeff.  Often the live recording captures a bands excitement
more than a studio record. I know some people who hate live albums and I
just can't figure out why.  If I am going to try out a group, and they
have tons of CDs in their section, I'll always choose the live album.

As much as I love Del McCoury and his new band, I don't think he has
ever captured the sheer brilliance and energy of their live set on
record.  I pray for a live album.  The band I see each year at Merlefest
is way superior to the one I hear on "The Family" or "Cold Hard Facts."

Bands where their best album is the live one: Backsliders, IIIrd Tyme
Out, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Who, Guy Clark, Graham Parker, and from
bootlegs Richard Thompson, Gillian Welch, Loudon Wainwright III, V-Roys
etc (which intersects with the other thread about the (im)morality of
bootlegs.  For some bands I couldn't live without them.)

Perhaps this difference also has to do with the fact that most studio
recordings you hear are actually of a song that was never actually
played.  Unless the band recorded live with no overdubs the version you
hear of a song on a studio album never actually happened.  You'd have to
be a pretty damn good band to record that way and have the same, or
more, energy than a live performance.  I'd rather have an occasional
flub, or a sour note, and have it be real.
Steve Gardner * Sugar Hill Records Radio Promotion
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * www.sugarhillrecords.com
WXDU "Topsoil" * A Century of Country Music
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * www.topsoil.net