Excerpts from internet.listserv.postcard2: 29-Mar-99 Re: Better Live? by
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Thast is SURELY and opinion statement, because IMHO, "Live at Leeds," while a
> great album, is surely not the best thing The Who ever put out.

That would be the Who's RxR Circus version of "A Quick One".  While I
have some sympathy for Steve's POV, I'd like to add that there are fine
songs out there that simply sound superior in-studio.  Even Richard
Thompson has a few -- "Love in a Faithless Country" comes to mid.  And
as Joe pointed out, ALL recording has some "trickery", be it
multi-tracking vocals and guitars to sampling to even where to place a
single mike to record a bluegrass band (and the choice of mike to boot).

One "authentic" production I've always loved is the job T-Bone Burnett,
Larry Hirsch and Elvis Costello did on the latter's _King of America_.
Most of the record was recording live, showing off some nice room
ambience, but when slightly flanged vocal overdubs kick in during the
middle of "Jack of All Parades" the effect really works well.

Matt's comments on the new Sovines record are well taken.  The variety
of supplemental instruments such as pedal steel and acoustic guitars
flatter the songs even if they're not "authentic" to the band's stage
sound.

Carl Z.

Carl Z.