<< Sheryl Crow does a very creditable duet with Emmylou on the forthcoming
Gram
 tribute (anyone have an advance of this yet?)  Emmylou Harris was interviewed
 on radio 2 (UK) last night, and they played that track and a weird and
 wonderful version of Ooh Las Vegas by a distinctly ambient Cowboy Junkies.
 Sounds like it should be a great album.  I'm bummed they didnt play the Welch
 and Rawlings' Hickory Wind.  Is there a release date yet for this? >>

The Welch is wonderful. It has a hint of Beth Orton-like electro-ambience
that is very cool. Actually, I'm mostly impressed with this collection, even
if I was prepared to not be, my preconception being that it was just gonna be
more of the same ol'-same ol'. Chrissie Hynde, Lucinda, Whiskeytown and Welch
all do some might fine stuff, to name a few off the top of my noggin. The
downside so far: Wilco and Hillman/Earle, essentially for the same reason,
being that their versions sound like little more than late-set bashings, and
the Cowboy Junkies, which, while plenty inventive, just seems to be confused
over what it is. The Crow track, is perfectly fine, methinks, if nothing that
revelatory.

My two centavos.

Neal Weiss
np - Al Green on shoutcast.com. T1 connex rule.