<< I am confused. Please explain. Sounding like Beth Orton--a hugely overrated
 critics' darling whose voice is almost completely without timbre and whose
 songwriting reminds me of the sort of bad poetry that teenage girls
 scribble in their diaries--is a good thing? I am confused. >>

Well, confused girl, I said nothing about the sound of Orton's voice nor
lyrics in comparing her to Gillian Welch's Parson's cover. I said that Welch
sounding Orton like with electronica ambience, or some sort of mumbo jumbo,
meaning, that there is a bit of a atmospheric synth stuff that colors what is
otherwise typically wonderful acoustic folkage. Thus, it make me think of the
folk electronica hybrid that Orton's doing, a chemistry which I happen to
like mucho.

Cheers.

Neal Weiss