At 05:16 AM 4/22/99 -0500, JP dared us all to explain the artist of the
decade should NOT be one of the following:

>Perry Farrell (who commercialized the most interesting aspects of Nirvana's
>"revolution")

You mean, LEAST interesting, right?

>Dr. Dre

Well, I nominated him myself, so I ain't gonna run him down here...

>U2

Their best and most influential work was all in the 80s, not the 90s.

>Prince

Ditto. With an explanation point.

>Red Hot Chili Peppers
>
>Hootie and the Blowfish

Please, I'm trying my damndest to forget both these bands

>PJ Harvey

I like her records a lot, but it seems to me that, first, an artist of the
decade should be somebody whose audience extends beyond you, me, Robert
Christgau and that one weird guy at the record store.

>Cesaria Evora (who didn't even know she was making beautiful records for
>consumerist dissection)

No, precisely because no one knew she was doing it.

>Trent Reznor  (who tried unsuccessfully to avoid the traps of the celebrity
>culture while commenting upon it AND fucking fashion models; and making
>great music)

As you, say he attempted this UNsuccessfully.

>Master P

Not with Dre on the list.

>Don Yates (a master of disguise)

Now, this is an intriguing nomination, but it's the wrong category. Maybe
instead: Turd-Stirrer/Goat-Getter/Curry-Baiter/Midwest Basher of the Year?
--david cantwell