>JPRiedie writes: <Don't be silly.  Their most mature and compelling work is
>Achtung Baby.  1991>
>
>If anything, I think U2 has gotten less "mature" during the 90s.  Like REM,
>they seem bent on making fun of themselves to less than hilarious effect.
>In the 80s, sure they were pretentious, but at least they were sincere.  The
>period from "War" through "Rattle & Hum" remains their artistic apex.
>--Slonedog

Not because i love a good pissing match, but because your wrong...

Achtung Baby! is a deathly serious record.  It's also their most literate
and musical.  Don't be blinded by their clothes and attitude - U2 has never
been lighthearted.  honestly, would anyone have even paid attention to the
great music they were making after the horrible Rattle and Hum if they kept
going with that tiresome saviors of the universe schtick??  They had to
reinvent themselves - and did an amazing job.  Zooropa's a pretty nifty
record too.