>The Beasties have made a couple of great records.  But they have more in
>common with Pearl Jam than with any rap artist.  You can make rap music and
>still have no idea what hip-hop is.  The Tibetan concerts are alterna fests
>because that's the Beasties audience.  They have zero influence on the
>hip-hop community.

I diasagree.  They are alternafests because of the *other*
bands in the lineup and probably because that's what the
majority of fest-going-kids look like.

Actually, I was suggesting that The Beasties are influential
artists, not rappers perse.  I think in terms of their videos,
clothing line, and music they've permeated the culture to a
degree which has not yet been acknowledged or realized.

FYI, some of their hip-hop is more authentic than "authentic"
hip-hop.

-JF