Jerry said:
>I think perhaps, Cobain's voice spoiled the overall
>sound for me and that's why I gave the record such short shrift.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a recording because you don't like the
vocals...maybe that statement needs to be repeated <g>  If the voice or the
vocal stylings make you cringe, then no amount of fancy licks and grandiose
production
will make you listen over and over.  It also depends on some internal
orientation.  Some people gravitate toward instrumentation and some toward
vocals.  I find it very difficult to listen to Iris DeMent.  I just do not
like her voice and no amount of brandishing or analytical breakdowns of
musical substance by others will convince me otherwise.  I thought
"Nevermind" was a decent album and Cobain's vocals do not annoy me; except I
think we're caught up (once again) in making a legend out of a poor guy who
obviously did not value his own life.   James Dean syndrome aside,yes a
movement was launched by Nirvana, but in looking back through the nineties,
was alt.rock really THE predominant form of music which influenced and
sold...or after all the dust settles, could it really be rap?
Tera (who would probably like rap if they'd just sing and quit ripping off
old rock riffs - but that's be a totally different style, wouldn't it?)