On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 10:51 +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Jeff schrieb:
> >> That is a very very bad idea and the best way to have your server added to
> >> many RBLs.
> >>
> > <snip>
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't see how sending mail with an unmonitored return
> > address (i.e., accepted and delivered locally to /dev/null) will get
> > you on an RBL. I get mail of that type from big companies all the
> > time. They usually have something in the message that explains that
> > you should not reply and that replies will not be read. Could someone
> > expand on the RBL comment?
> >
> > We have reason to do this for messages that provide automated
> > information but are not intended to start a dialogue with the
> > customer. Why is this wrong? It seems to be a rather common practice.
> >

> in rare cases , recipients may use sender verify ( which they shouldnt
> do these days i.e it makes lot of unneeded smtp traffic , backscatter
> and dont work with greylisting in the most cases ) so if you use a
> not working/valid noreply@ mail address, mail will not reach
> the recipient ( never use no existing domains with noreply@ cause this
> will not work with most antispam solutions, never use domains you do not
> own cause this leads loosing mail traffic to others ), so use a smtp
> working noreply@ with your domains as sender address
> but simply dont answer to mails going there, you may silent discard them

This is exactly the point of question me and Jeff are talking about:
It has been said by other posters, that using a sender address, that
is SMTP-valid (i.e. you can send emails to this address without error),
but silently discarded by the receiving server, is NOT a good practice
and will cause "bad reputation". Why?

-stefan-