On 22 Oct 2008, at 12:56, Richard Foley wrote:
spam_ip_regex file:

/[ax]dsl.*\..*\..*/i 450 AUTO_XDSL Email Rejected. You appear to be
connecting from a Dynamic IP address.
/client.*\..*\..*/i 450 AUTO_CLIENT Email Rejected. You appear to
be connecting from a Dynamic IP address.
/cable.*\..*\..*/i 450 AUTO_CABLE Email Rejected. You appear to be
connecting from a Dynamic IP address.
/dial.*\..*\..*/i 450 AUTO_DIAL Email Rejected. You appear to be
connecting from a Dynamic IP address.

This looks fairly useful. Does anyone else have any experience with this approach, who might be able to offer insight into whether it's valid or not?

My experience is on the butt-end of such filters - they're a sure fire way to annoy me if I'm sending you mail.

I run a Postfix server on my home ADSL connection and it is extremely frustrating to have mail rejected because of that. The common response of admins to complaints about this is "you should use your ISP's mail server", but really it is just nice to have a a proper "receipt" for emails one has sent.

If a message appears undelivered (it may have been incorrectly have been classified as spam by the recipient's filter) then, using Postfix & connecting directly, I can say "the mailserver listed in your domain's MX records acknowledged receipt for this message at $time on $date; here's the log entry". If I use my ISP's relay then the blame is uncertain.

I have to admit that I can't say I've ever had to use this "proof of delivery" - perhaps if I reported a missing mail (through their servers) to my ISP they would help track it down, but I am not very optimistic. It is quite aggravating, however, to be treated like a second-class citizen when I am following RFC. Some major ISPs do not, and yet they get away with it just because one can't simply ignore their whole huge customer base.

Stroller.