Martin Strand wrote:

Our customers are extremely non-technical (some believe the Internet
is "that blue 'e' on the computer") so I have little hope in
explaining why postmaster is a reserved mailbox. :) This particular
customer registered his domain somewhere else and now decided to
switch to our services. His previous provider automatically created a
postmaster@ account for him and he's been using it as his personal
mailbox for years.

That's fine. So long as [EMAIL PROTECTED] is being read by a human, then the requirements are fulfilled. If the customer is happy to read it himself, there's no reason not to let him.

Your responsibility, as the mailservice operator, is merely to ensure that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is read by someone else if the customer doesn't do it.

This was exactly what I was looking for: "postmaster at any of the
domains for which the SMTP server provides mail service, ..., MUST be
supported." So, I'll continue to monitor all postmaster mailboxes,
even for customer domains.

No, that's bad. If a customer wants to get his own postmaster and/or abuse mail, then you should let him. There may well be reasons why they need to - for example, if they are running an operation where they in turn have downstream customers who may offend against the law or netiquette and need to be able to respond to abuse reports promptly. Don't restrict their ability to be a good internet citizen by intercepting their mail unless they're happy for you to do so.

Neil's bcc suggestion is definitely a better idea, but since I'm
dealing with such non-technical customers they will likely never be
interested in actual postmaster mail so I'll leave everything the way
it is for now. Perhaps that'll have to change some day.

No. That's even worse. Other than where necessary for technical reasons (eg, in order to resolve a problem reported by your customer), you shouldn't be reading your customer's email.

Mark
--
http://mark.goodge.co.uk - my pointless blog
http://www.good-stuff.co.uk - my less pointless stuff