Jan P. Kessler a écrit :
> mouss schrieb:
>> it's not required. but if you don't verify the cert, then you trust DNS.
>> so a DNS attack (poisoning, ...) would make him send passwords to the
>> wrong server.
>>
> <dramatic>
>
> If you use encryption you implicitly assume that there might be someone
> between you and the target system. Unfortunately that 'someone' may also
> perform MITM attacks in that position. The only possibility to get
> around this is to verify the identity of the target.
>
> So keep in mind that you should
>
> 1. always try to verify your target's identity
>   or
> 2. not use encryption because it wastes cpucycles for nothing
>
> </dramatic>

you may still want to encrypt a channel to avoid sniffing by "local"
machines. sniffing traffic is a lot easier than (active) MITM attacks.
so no, encryption without verification is not a waste.

(I'm not saying verification is useless. I'm saying there may be cases
where verification may be problematic while encryption is still
desirable).