Terry Carmen wrote:

Jeff Weinberger wrote:
Hello again:

One more issue on which I would appreciate any help anyone can offer:

Yesterday I upgraded my postfix installation from 2.5.2 to 2.5.5 and my MySQL installation from 5.0.51b to 5.0.75. Immediately after restarting everything (the whole computer), I started seeing these messages in my mail log:

Jan 1 09:48:35 s postfix/smtpd[13199]: warning: connect to mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp' (38) Jan 1 09:48:35 s postfix/cleanup[13201]: warning: connect to mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp' (38) Jan 1 09:48:42 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[13205]: warning: connect to mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp'

(38)Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp'
/tmp isn't a socket, it's a directory.

Run:

mysql --xml -uroot -p -e "SHOW VARIABLES WHERE Variable_name = 'socket';"

to see where mysql has it's socket, then make sure that postfix is looking for it there, or move the socket, or switch postfix and MySQL to use a TCP socket.

If you're running chroot'ed the socket needs to be where postfix can find it.

Terry

Sorry about the --xml. Although it doesn't hurt anything, you don't really need it.

In any event, if you're getting the error messages, I don't see how postfix can be using mysql.

Terry