Jeff Weinberger:
> This may seem like an odd question, but I need to find a way to
> suspend delivery of mail to one account or one domain for a short
> period of time to allow me to do a bit of maintenance.
>
> As it stands now, I use maildrop as my delivery transport for virtual
> mailboxes.
>
> Is there a way to tell postfix to hold the mail in its queue until I
> tell it I'm ready?

/etc/postfix/transport:
    u...@example.com    retry:4.4.1 Service unavailable
    another.example.com retry:4.4.1 Service unavailable

> Is this as simple as having maildrop return a temporary failure code?

That would work, too.

Postfix will return mail when it exceeds $maximal_queue_lifetime.

> and if that happens, postfix will retry at certain intervals (or on
> postqueue -f) right? And if that is a good way to do it, what return
> code should maildrop return?

If using pipe-to-command: /usr/include/sysexits.h's EX_TEMPFAIL
If using LMTP: a suitable 4XX numeric code.