On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 02:36:25PM +0000, João Miguel Neves wrote:
> That would mean that the most useful use of SAV is negated. Or is there
> some prior arrangement that would allow me to do that to hotmail.com,
> gmail.com, yahoo.com*?

Some Mailproviders explicitly forbid the use of SAV against their Mailsystems.
Some others provide false information depending on the SPAM-Filtersettings
of their users, others are just plain broken.

And the Information that <some.fake.acco...@hotmail.com> is deliverable
has virtually no meaning regarding the SPAM-likelyhood of the incoming
e-Mail. SAV does not verify the authenticity of the sender address.

SAV is a nice idea if run against a limited set of trusted domains (who's
postmasters expclitly allow you to perform these Lookups), but it's not
such a good idea in general.
If everyone would use SAV, the ammount of SMTP traffic in the Internet
would *double*. I bet most heavy duty mailssystems don't scale double.

> I'm going to reduce the target domains, but is there a known agreement
> with MS, Google or Yahoo to use SAV against their servers?

Ask their Postmasters/Admins. If they say it's ok, do it.