On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Jorey Bump <l...@joreybump.com> wrote:
> Charles Marcus wrote, at 03/09/2009 09:42 AM:
>> On 3/9/2009, Costin Gu_  (costi...@gmail.com) wrote:
>>> yes, it's true that people expect instant delivery; however I was
>>> thinking at short delays such as 5 minutes, since most regrettable
>>> errors are discovered within the next few seconds following the event,
>>> so keeping the mail in queue for extra five minutes wouldn't bother
>>> the majority.
>>>
>>> note that I didn't mention that I actually _want_ to do this, but this
>>> has come up as a proposed solution to these kind of people with whom I
>>> am interacting - I am supporting the IT in a field where being
>>> computer literate is not a mandatory skill for a manager.
>>
>> This is actually an interesting idea... but I think it should only be
>> available on an opt-in basis, where the end user understands that all of
>> their mail will be subject to this delay...
>>
>> I wonder how hard some kind of automatic script processing would be,
>> where the user could just add a 'RECALL' to the subject beginning, and
>> have postfix delete the message from the queue if it found a match with
>> the sender and subject and then deliver a confirmation, or simply send a
>> 'Too late' response if there is no match...
>
> Isn't this best implemented at the MUA level? At the very least, a user
> can simply save drafts of all composed email, then review & send
> messages periodically. Not only does this address the problem, it is
> more convenient for everyone, including the user, who can edit the
> message in place before finally sending.

composing drafts still does not prevent you from making mistakes when
you click "send" button on an unrevised draft. for example, you are
sure of the content but you could wrongly select the recipient in a
hurry. or mistype it. or be convinced that typing the very few letters
would select the contact it used to be selected, but by the chance a
new contact has been entered into the mua address book cache... and so
on.