On 3/9/2009 6:12 PM, mouss wrote:
>> It will never fail that the user will decide right after clicking the
>> send button that they want to recall it, no matter how long they wait
>> prior to sending...

> and they will also decide to recall it after it was "released" ;-p

Of course... but all joking aside, almost every time someone has asked
me about this, it was within a minute or two of them sending it, so a 5
- or maybe 7 or 8 at most - minute delay really would serve the majority
of cases I've personally encountered...

>> I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to one of our users
>> why we cannot recall their message - whcih usually ends up with me
>> describing how this exchange capability works, and why it only works
>> under certain limited circumstances, which does NOT include any
>> destinations that are NOT exchange servers configured to cooperate with
>> these requests.

> next time: insult him, then "recall the insult", and see if he accepts ;-p
>
> or if he is stronger than you, ask him how to recall a phone call ;--p

Funny, but obviously not a real comparison ;)

>> I only said it was an interesting idea, and wondered if it could be
>> automated... I'm still not sure it *should* be done... :)

> it can be automated. the hard part is to define the criteria (when to
> keep, when to "release") and how to recall (how does user tell the
> system that he wants to recall a message,

Well, release after expiry time is easy - as for how the user recalls,
one way would be to define a special email address (ie,
<rec...@example.com> where example.com is your domain, and tell the user
to simply go to their 'Sent' folder, click the 'Reply button for the
message they want to recall, and change the destination address to
<rec...@example.com>. The magic, of course, would be the script that
processes these requests...

--

Best regards,