Wietse Venema wrote:
Roderick A. Anderson:
I keep seeing and having questions on valid parameters and valid values for them. The Postfix.org site and manual have great listings and this list has provided excellent info on them.

Still I stay a bit confused as I started with an older version (could have been in the 1.x series) and got much of my main.cf from "non-authoritative" sources. :-) And as I upgraded I never changed main.cf much unless I found a problem.

So here I am now wanting to "optimize" the installations I support but feel I can't do it right. Why? Because I don't know how a message flows through the settings in Postfix.

It's documented.  http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

Totally missed this. I think I might have skipped it because so many OVERIEWs are ... lame.

To try and bring this to the subject line; is there a "flow chart" or a way to create one of how a message would/should/could be processed?

Plus I have questions like: "Does the order of the parameters in main.cf make a difference? Can I specify *_client_* after *_recipient_*, which parameter values are standalone parameters now, etc.

It's documented.  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

Been there, done that but forgot about the non-ordered portion.

Now I come to what I was trying to ask.

In a main.cf I have:

smtpd_helo_restrictions = ...
smtpd_data_restrictions = ...
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = ...
header_checks = ...

I'm assuming smtpd_* means the the first three are handled by smtpd but in what order? I'm leaning towards helo, recipient, then data; but there are others. Where do they fall in the processing order?

And who handles header_checks and when?

Sorry to be a pain but I was hoping to not have to dive into the code. I sometimes need to justify/explain settings to others with less experience than me. Plus if they are in main.cf grouped and ordered it makes the logic clearer.

\\||/
Rod