On 14.09.23 13:08, Marc Lucke via Postfix-users wrote:
re:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/updated-requirements-for-smtp-relay-through-exchange-online/ba-p/3851357

Let's say I send an email.  I use:

mail from: <annoy...@spammer.com>

and in the data (body)

From: Professional Legit Person
<igotalovelybunchofcoconuts@innocent.pizza>

Looking at headers from Microsoft, they track 2 fields: smtp.mailfrom and header.from

From what I can work out, they'll start to say that if smtp.mailfrom != header.from (in my example, spammer.com != innocent.pizza), Microsoft will bounce the email - even if authenticated etc.  They seem very happy to spend our time, huh? (unless I have something wrong)

I don't think so. Many mail resenders e.g. mailing lists change envelope from: and keep header From:

what they are removing, is the check of correct header From: and you must provide correct certificate or correct envelope from: for mail to be accepted.

I can & do use generic sender address masking successfully. In fact, in the above example, in reality, "innocent.pizza" is actually the hostname in most cases.  generic is the wrong solution to my issue.

Also masquerading won't work, because I can't guarantee who the "mail from: " that postfix includes will be.

I don't agree with Microsoft's action here, & think many use cases would be broken if everyone did this, such as my forward from yahoo, & maybe mailing lists.

My question is this:  is there a way to hide the "mail from: " value

No. The envelope (mail from:) sender is used in SMTP protocol and most of postfix checks.

from Microsoft & instead use the generic mapped sender instead?  In my example, Microsoft would only ever see "innocent.pizza" and never "spammer.com" as if I'd originally done this instead, when I did not:

mail from: <igotalovelybunchofcoconuts@innocent.pizza>

Why do you accept mail from incorrect (spammer) envelope domain?
Why not fix this problem in the right place (sender)?

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.