On 9/18/23 08:09, Curtis Maurand via Postfix-users wrote:
I'm running Postfix with rspamd which is a milter.  At what point in the email conversation does the DKIM lookup happen? Does Postfix handle that or am I asking on the wrong list and I should be asking the question on the rspamd list?  I'm getting a DNS failure on my setup that gmail is not getting.  It's a delegated subdomain.  I'm getting this temp error. the relevant message header is below.

        dkim=temperror ("DNS error when getting key")
header.d=news.circadian.com header.s=default header.b=KGxjxIVc;
        spf=temperror (sirius.xyonet.com: error in processing during lookup
ofxyo...@news.circadian.com: DNS error)smtp.mailfrom=xyo...@news.circadian.com;
        dmarc=temperror reason="query refused" header.from=circadian.com
(policy=temperror)

SPF, DKIM, and DMARC all pass at gmail.

I know nothing about rspamd.  I use opendkim, amavisd-new, and postscreen.

Are the xyonet.com and/or circadian.com domains under your control? Based on Received headers in the list message I replied to, I think they are.

The log says "query refused" when it tries to lookup SPF info in DNS... which sounds to me like a probable issue in the DNS server used by the system that added that header. This is also probably what happened to cause the temperror on the DKIM lookup, but in that case the actual error was not logged.

Is the mail server that added the header also under your control?

If I had to guess, I would say that the DNS server in question either has the mail server that added the header blocked, or that it is not configured to accept recursive queries from the mail server. But there could be other reasons that the connection was refused. Usually if the traffic was blocked by a firewall, the connection would time out, not be refused ... but some firewalls can be configured to use connection refused instead.

It is generally a good idea for a mail server to also run a local caching DNS server, independent of any DNS servers that you may be running for your internal infrastructure. That DNS server should NOT be accessible from the Internet unless you happen to be running the mail server on the same host as your DNS infrastructure ... which I would say is probably not the best idea.

My mail server in AWS, running postfix, dovecot, and roundcube, also runs bind9, config mostly unmodified from the ubuntu defaults. It is not authoritative for any domains, including the ones that postfix and dovecot are handling. It does not have forwarders, it performs a recursing lookup starting at the public root servers for all queries that it receives related to public domains.

Thanks,
Shawn