On Tue, 11 Jun 2024 at 11:52, Matus UHLAR - fantomas via Postfix-users <
postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote:

> On 11.06.24 11:02, Gilgongo via Postfix-users wrote:
> >OK so I assume I can use the IP address of the primary and secondary MX
> >servers, since all our domains are hosted on those IPs.
>
> It would make sense to use permit_mx_backup on secondary MX server and
> setting the permit_mx_backup_networks to IP of primary server.
>
> That way, you don't have to list domains pointing to primary MX, but your
> server still accepts mail for anyone who lists your servers as MX, even if
> your primary MX does not accept it (address verification would help)

Thanks, I'll try that.

> I only see there:
>
> relay_domains = $mydestination
>
> wich makes little sense, because this way you would only relay fo
> - domains that are local (and thus not relayed)
> - their subdomains (due to parent_domain_matches_subdomains setting)

I think because $mydestination (further down the config file) includes
"/etc/postfix/localdomains" (containing a list of the domains we relay
for), then that works? This is an example of one of the reasons why I
wanted to sort out some confusions in the config...

> Since I don't see any of those  double bounces, I can only guess it's a
> symptom of other problem:
>
> myhostname = mx0.domain.org.uk
> myorigin = $mydomain
> mydestination = $myhostname, alice.$mydomain, localhost.$mydomain,
> localhost, /etc/postfix/localdomains
>
> I can guess your server sends mail from "domain.org.uk" but can't process
> those.

Not sure. The domain is listed in the "localdomains" file though.

But this is all clearly rather mysterious. I think it may be necessary to
hire some professional help, rather than trying to debug it on the mailing
list.

If anyone reading this would like to take this on, feel free to mail me off
list.

Jonathan