On 2024-07-12 at 09:30:33 UTC-0400 (Fri, 12 Jul 2024 15:30:33 +0200)
Ralph Seichter via Postfix-users <ra...@ml.seichter.de>
is rumored to have said:

I can imagine a custom milter which stores message data, rejects the
original SMTP delivery attempt after the end of the DATA phase, and
later re-injects the captured data in some fashion (not necessarily
using SMTP), but this way madness lies.

I can look at a milter doing this in production, almost.

On a system I use for piloting potentially very bad ideas, I have MIMEDefang set up so that whenever it sends a message to SpamAssassin for analysis, it also saves a pristine copy of the message as well. This is helpful for keeping an eye on how SA functions because usually you don't have any pristine copies of mail that has had a misclassification.

This sort of setup is not scalable. It's fine for a system that gets scores of messages per day, but I would not want to see how it handles a de facto doubling of deliveries for millions.

--
Bill Cole
(AKA @grumpybozo@toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)