On 12/07/2024 15:30, Ralph Seichter via Postfix-users wrote:
I can imagine a custom milter which stores message data, rejects the
original SMTP delivery attempt after the end of the DATA phase, and
later re-injects the captured data in some fashion (not necessarily
using SMTP), but this way madness lies.

"My advice true, forget this!" (Alvina)

-Ralph

Ralph

I agree with the advice but have some doubts about the milter solution. Would a milter solution that rejects the message at the end of data stage work for the more general case of a multi recipient email which contain both valid and invalid recipient addresses? I assume that when you get to the end of DATA stage your are either rejecting or accepting the message for all recipients that you accepted at the RCPT TO stage.

If you accepted both valid and invalid recipients your reject would go to both. If you only accept valid recipients and it so happens the message was addressed to a single invalid recipient, the smtp session would not get to the DATA stage.

John