Planning to add Haproxy server for resiliency to better control backend
postfix relay servers for some of the clients like Java/GO
Java clients -> Haproxy -> Postfix relays with policy service -> other SMTP
servers -> internet

Thanks for suggesting XFORWARD which can be set by client and read by
server and seems like one of the options, but with that  I have to patch
these clients to add X-Forward header.
Is there any other option at haproxy and Postfix server level, where I
don't have to touch client libraries as not all of them are under my
control in my environment.

I was reading that haproxy can preprend proxy header by using send-proxy
and postfix can decode it by using a postscreen with some combination of
below settings. Is this possible and what would the correct settings if it
is possible.

postscreen_upstream_proxy_protocol = haproxy

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 2:00 AM Wietse Venema via Postfix-users <
postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote:

> sandeep pawar via Postfix-users:
> > Some of the Java mail client libraries don't support MX record and don't
> > have a good retry mechanism and therefore want to run a group of relay
> > behind load-balancer so that when relays are patched, no mails are lost
> by
> > ensuring a right health check.
> >
> > These relays are authenticated and also have policy service configured
> > which also take decisions based on client IP.
> >
> > Want to understand how I can preserve client IP in Postfix and use it
> > further in logging and policy service if possible. Found some reference
> > around sendproxy protocol.
>
> The picture is
>
> Java clients -> Postfix relays with policy service -> other SMTP servers
> -> internet
>
> and you want to know the Java client IP address in the other SMTP
> servers?  Postfix SMTP servers and clients implement the XFORWARD
> protocol for doing that, but it requires that the other servers
> support that protocol.
>
> > Open to any other suggestion to make relays highly available for client
> and
> > save against edge case with small downtime.
>
>         Wietse

Sandeep Pawar