On 8/31/24 15:02, Michael Orlitzky via Postfix-users wrote:
On Sun, 2024-09-01 at 04:41 +1000, Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users
wrote:

How did you get Postfix to believe its version is "3.9".  There was
never such a release.  Official Postfix release versions always have
a micro "patch level".

Looks to be from

   #define MAIL_VERSION_NUMBER  "3.9"

in postfix-3.9.0/src/global/mail_version.h.

If Gentoo builds arrange it to be otherwise, why odes Phil's version
have the expected three parts?

That part is still a mystery. We set

   shlib_directory = /usr/lib64/postfix/${mail_version}

but somehow his new postfix didn't get the memo.

As part of troubleshooting this I'm going through my main.cf cleaning up, including removing any setting that simply repeats the default.

One thing I've discovered during this is that *removing* mail_version and every directive that references it resolves the problem.

My conclusion is: The mail_version set by 3.9.0 is not what is expected, but *this will only be a problem to you* if you have config directives that you no longer need ANYWAY. Go through main.cf and clean up anything not actually needed, and PROBABLY the problem will disappear.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Fenian House Publishing