On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:27:55 +0200, Pawe+‚ Le+›niak wrote:

>W dniu 2009-04-14 11:56, Rod Whitworth pisze:
>> Oh dear, that's all really too much trouble. I have OpenBSD's spamd
>> running in front of my MTA. A script checks all greylisted entries for
>> invalid recipients with<>  sender and tarpits them.
>>
>If mail goes to invalid recipient it can be *rejected*. It's not really
>dependent on sender.

Of course, but it is a low cost way of punishing the dills who don't
configure their MX properly.

>> You cannot have a legitimate bounce going to an invalid sender for
>> bleedin' obvious reasons. So stick it to 'em.
>>
>I hope you mean recipient not sender.

It was a forged sender (to the backscatter source) and in our case they
could not have been the true sender because they do not exist as valid
recipients of incoming mail. i.e. they are not our users.

Remember I did say that I was applying this to "null sender to
non-existing recipients" (who were purported to be the original
senders). We have about 60 spamtrap addresses. Most invented by
spammers.

> Are you sure that null sender is only used in bounces?

What else?

>> It wastes resources on all the misconfigured bounce-instead-of-reject
>> dummies out there and places no load on my lovely Postfix server. Heh!
>>
>Could you explain how? If you greylist those mails instead of rejecting,
>you are getting additional SMTP connection(s). If you reject them, they
>are discarded. What am I missing?

They are detected whilst they are in the greylist and then they are
grey-trapped (tar-pitted in other words)

>> Rod/
>> /earth: write failed, file system is full
>> cp: /earth/creatures: No space left on device
>>
>Check your storage.

Check the population of /earth for yourself ................... ;-(

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to
reply off list. Thankyou.