September 23, 2026 at 17:24, "Gerald Galster via Postfix-users" 
<[email protected] 
mailto:[email protected]?to=%22Gerald%20Galster%20via%20Postfix-users%22%20%3Cpostfix-users%40postfix.org%3E
 > wrote:

> > Following my exchange here with Mel it appeared that doing:
> >  
> >  jail (Postfix + signing) -> local server -> internet -> VPS (Postfix)
> > 
> This is Option 2. I hope this is not about direction, because for smtp 
> sessions
> packets flow between both peers, so jail -> vps is the same as vps -> jail.


it’s about my outbound email traffic ;) 
this setup is only for emails I send. 


> With WireGuard you connect "peers" using (stateless) UDP. Packets just
> start to flow again after an outage as peers stay configured. Besides
> you're probably using the WireGuard kernel module and kernels don't tend
> to crash that often, though there are user-space implementations that could
> crash in theory. In my experience that hasn't happened and even then, FreeBSD
> surely has mechanisms to restart a daemon on failure.


I have another WireGuard VPN on the host for my mobility needs, and once or 
twice it failed me while I was away from home. I could ssh to the server and 
IIRC I had to reboot to restore VPN. But FreeBSD got updates since then, and 
may be I’m beeing paranoid ;) 


> As an alternative there is OpenVPN which supports TCP as a transport,
> but its configuration is more complex.


Nah, I like WG more than OpenVPN (I used OpenVPN before switching to WG).

Anyway, now my VPN + static routes seems to be working as intended thanks to 
you. So the option with no postfix on the VPS is back on the table.

Thanks Gerald, thanks everyone,
patrick
_______________________________________________
Postfix-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to