On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 05:15:52PM -0700, David Jonas wrote:

> When a bounce message from <> is going to an address that is in
> virtual_alias_maps the sender gets rewritten to <MAILER-DAEMON>, or at
> least that is what seems to happen. Some mail servers reject MAILER-DAEMON
> as a sender due to the lack of domain (att.net, comcast.net). How can I
> control this? What is the proper thing to do in this case?

The pipe(8) daemon by default passes MAILER-DAEMON as ${sender} in place
of the empty address. If your "argv" setting is robust, you can ask it
to not do that. Usually, pipe(8) leads to final delivery and the envelope
sender is not significant. If you are using pipe(8) content filters, set
it up to not break the envelope.

Also Postfix does not send unqualified addresses to remote servers unless
you turn off append_at_myorigin, which you should never do.

--
        Viktor.