David Jonas:
> When a bounce message from <> is going to an address that is in
> virtual_alias_maps the sender gets rewritten to <MAILER-DAEMON>, or at
> least that is what seems to happen. Some mail servers reject
> MAILER-DAEMON as a sender due to the lack of domain (att.net,
> comcast.net). How can I control this? What is the proper thing to do in
> this case?

If you use the "simple" content filter approach as described in
http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html with Postfix 2.3 and
later, use:

/etc/postfix/master.cf:
    filter    unix  -       n       n       -       10      pipe
        null_sender=
        flags=Rq user=filter argv=/path/to/script -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}

This prevents the null sender from being replaced.