I'm not sure if you can on your hardware, but some of my most effective countermeasures are ehlo/helo checking for hostname does not contain a ".". This can cause a very small amount of false positives so please do check your logs first.

Second is greylisting.

Third is checking if the ehlo/helo ip is in my range of ip's.

Sorry about the top post, I'm on a mobile that does not give a lot of flexibility in that regard.
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.