Zitat von Michael Wang <postfix-u...@pandadesigns.com>:

Gerard wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 02:52:32 -0700
Michael Wang <postfix-u...@pandadesigns.com> wrote:

I've been running my current email system using Postfix 2.3.X since
the end of 2006. It's a very small system since it's just my personal
email on various domains I own. However I'm loathe to mess with it
since it has been running rock solid and it does have quite a few
"moving parts" to it.

Is there stuff in the new versions that would make it worth upgrading
to me?

I don't really care about the "internal" facing stuff (or do I care?) like performance and filter changes and thinks like that since my
volume is so low and I'm not planning on changing any of the other
pieces of the mail system in the near term.

But would my server, for example, be a "better citizen" from the perspective of other email servers talking to it if I upgraded? I.e.
are there protocol changes/new protocols that make the new versions
better? Is 2.3 end-of-life coming any time soon?

There are other factors to consider, such as, how old is your OS? I
just rebuild my system. I had FreeBSD-6.4 installed. By rebuilding with
FreeBSD-7.2, I not only got better performance, I was also able
to replaced dozens of old, outdated or just plain depreciated programs
with up-to-date versions.

I guess it depends on your particular situation and demands.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Linux kernel 2.6.15). It's a little old now but still supported to June 2011 (I intentionally went with the LTS version for that reason) and I don't have a problem compiling from source the programs I need more up-to-date versions of so I'm not planning an OS upgrade anytime soon. In fact I built from source all of the email-related stuff including Postfix. I like knowing the exact config/compile settings used and setting the install locations (not a big fan of where Debian/Ubuntu puts some stuff).

If you build from source already upgrade is as easy as reading the release notes that means around 2-4 hours of work.

Regards

Andreas