On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 11:08 -0500, Noel Jones wrote:
> EASY steve.h...@digitalcertainty.co.uk wrote:

> >> Usually we use amavisd-new
> >
> > Depends how often you want to keep restarting it. My time at Barracuda
> > taught me to steer clear of Amavis. 'Captain Crash' was its nickname.
> >
> > I appreciate that you, Ralf, love it and say it scales well. I respect
> > that but it's not my experience. In the Barracuda boxes running it
> > (handling large volumes into the millions of messages a day area) it was
> > one of three common points of failure. I'm happy to steer clear of it
> > but It's good that it works for you.
>
> The one time I tried using a hammer, I kept getting injured.
> I'll never use another hammer.  No, I never asked anyone for
> advice, the instructions seemed simple enough.  I'll bet all
> those other people using hammers just ignore the pain.

Had I have been a Barracuda developer I would have asked for advice. I
was not. Me just a low grade tech support droid having to restart amavis
day in, day out in many of those hundreds of thousands of units they
have sold. I guess those that 'stole' what is the Barracuda spam (and
virus) firewall from Open Source did ask many questions. You may have
even answered some. What is for sure is they have real life demonstrable
use of amavis-new in high volume environments and from what I've seen of
it - it sucks. Let me know if you get the guts to try a hammer again.