On 6/29/2009, Steve (steve.h...@digitalcertainty.co.uk) wrote:
> I've read a few archive posts regarding the generation of bounce/ndr
> messages and I can understand some of the cutting remarks such as 'don't
> accept mail for invalid users in the first place'.

Yep - but accepting for invalid users is different from your problem
described below of bouncing due to failing CONTENT inspection...

> That aside, is it actually possible to stop the SENDING (or the
> generation) of NDR/Bounce messages.

It might be possible to do this ONLY for messages that fail the content
inspection, but otherwise, postfix doesn't 'send' NDRs, it simply
rejects the message at smtp time - it is the ORIGINATING server (the one
that SENT the message) that generates the NDR.

If your server is accepting then bouncing, something is broken... fix
the problem.

I don't do it, but I think you can have a before queue content filter
using amavisd-new and spamassassin...

> I have a couple of content milters / filters running that hold the mail
> during the data stage and inspect it. I appreciate that the RFC's say
> the decision needs to be made before the DATA section - but that is not
> always ideal.

The rule is simple... if you accept the message, don't bounce it
afterwards, but if you must for some specific reason accept a message
and then reject it for whatever reason afterwards, the RFC requires a
bounce (I think). The best way to deal with this is if you accept the
message and then it fails some content inspection, just tag it and
deliver to a spam folder or something.

--

Best regards,

Charles