On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 08:15:11AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen:
> > Hi
> >
> > More fooling around with postfix,
> >
> > Using in main.cf
> >
> > smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname
> >
> > did not do what I expected:
> >
> > from the /var/log/mail/info file:
> >
> > Jul 12 09:12:48 rap postfix/smtpd[6597]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> > unknown[92.45.179.70]: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your
> > reverse hostname , [92.45.179.70]; from=<eononagenar...@ajsquare.com>
> > to=<k...@rap.rap.dk> proto=ESMTP helo=<asy70.asy179.tellcom.com.tr>
>
> Surely, your assumption that all network paths are working
> all the time must be valid, and Postfix must be mistaken.

I saw the problem a number of times, that is that sites with a PTR
record were listed as unknown. This was just one example out of a
number. Anyway a timeout problem could of cause occur multiple times.

Is it true that if a PTR was found, then this name would be displayed in
the above log message, and not the IP number?

Anyway, can you confirm that there is no check on availablilty of the
domain name that is referenced in the PTR RR? I would actually think
that such a check was a wise thing to do. But then you can catch some
valid domains that has a bad configuration.

Anyway if it is a name server timeout, then I think this is always
handled by a 450 response. In my case the mail was rejected.

Best regards
keld