Well I'm new in the company (and new to Postfix) and the system was
already set, so I'm trying to understand how is this configured. I'm
seeing a warning regarding this in the logfile that tells me that the
domain name must not be listed in  both virtual_mailbox_domains and
relay_domains, so obviously you were right :).

I don't know why $virtual_mailbox_maps is listed in
virtual_mailbox_domains. I've read that $virtual_mailbox_maps is the
default value for virtual_mailbox_domains, so I think that the
previous guy thought that if he set virtual_mailbox_domains just to
hash:/etc/postfix/vmaildomains it would overwrite the default value
and the virtual_mailbox_maps lookup table wouldn't be in use. However,
I'm not sure why having virtual_mailbox_domains set is necessary,
since the virtual(8) delivery agent will use the virtual_mailbox_maps
lookup table anyway (if this have been set) to verify that the
recipient address is valid. Am I right?