On Wednesday, August 05, 2009 at 10:48 CEST,
     Yeray Gutiérrez Cedrés <yera...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know why $virtual_mailbox_maps is listed in
> virtual_mailbox_domains. I've read that $virtual_mailbox_maps is the
> default value for virtual_mailbox_domains, so I think that the
> previous guy thought that if he set virtual_mailbox_domains just to
> hash:/etc/postfix/vmaildomains it would overwrite the default value
> and the virtual_mailbox_maps lookup table wouldn't be in use. However,
> I'm not sure why having virtual_mailbox_domains set is necessary,
> since the virtual(8) delivery agent will use the virtual_mailbox_maps
> lookup table anyway (if this have been set) to verify that the
> recipient address is valid. Am I right?

Yes, but Postfix must know which domains are virtual mailbox domains,
i.e. which domains should be passed off to virtual(8). It's not
necessarily wrong to list $virtual_mailbox_maps in
virtual_mailbox_domains (it's there by default for backwards
compatibility reasons), but unless you actually list the virtual
mailbox domains in lookup tables specified in $virtual_mailbox_maps
there is no point in listing $v_m_m in v_m_d.

Bottom line -- if all virtual mailbox domains are listed in the
vmaildomains file you can remove $v_m_m from v_m_d to simply your
configuration, avoid confusion, and relieve your LDAP server from
unnecessary lookups.

The latter is good since qmgr(8) runs in a single thread and is severely
affected by high-latency lookups. It's therefore highly preferable to
have mydestination and the xxx_domains parameters list "simple" lookup
tables like hash, btree, cdb, pcre etc that always have a quick response
time.

Please do not top-post.

--
Magnus Bäck