On 8/23/2009 7:01 PM, MySQL Student wrote:
Hi,

I'm also pretty sure it's not a network issue. After passing
billions of packets there isn't a single error. I'm also pretty sure
DNS is configured properly.

Have you checked the connection between postfix and the exchange
machines? After some years, a cable can get bad, lousy, and the
packets would not pass so reliably anymore. After moving a
machine/wandering around a rack cabinet, one may have step on a cable
and disconnect it or damage it.

I had them replace the network cable, to no avail.

How can I add some additional debugging, without overwhelming the
system, to troubleshoot this further? Is there a way to increase the
debugging info for messages in the queue, such as the last time an
attempt was made to deliver the message, or the timeline of what was
happening during the failed delivery attempt?

Thanks,
Alex

All the information you need is likely already in the logs.

You can make the logs a little easier to read by marking different services with different names. This is particularly handy if you have multiple instances, but it can also be helpful to label the after content_filter smtpd.
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#syslog_name

Here's some pointers on what to look for in the log:
http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html
these may be helpful also:
http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html