I am installing postfix on a box where all users don't necessarily have
a home directory. Anyone know of a way to configure "home_mailbox"  to
an absolute path(with username var) so every user's mailbox directory
resides under one top level directory?

Something like "/var/spool/mail/$USER/", e.g.

If I set it to "/var/spool/mail/$USER/" it creates that directory
structure under the user's home directory and doesn't expand the USER
var. This was a total guess on my part and I have no reason to believe I
can use a variable like that.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd love to avoid procmail to do this as
my installation's workload is sensitive to the extra resource expense
procmail adds.