Mark Johnson wrote:
> All,
> We have an application server to generate mail and use postfix as relay mail
> server for outgoing mail. We ran the test and postfix did catch the error.
> However, it didn't report back to application server.
> We used sendmail as relay mail server and it did report back to application
> server.
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated?
>
> Here is the mail log:
> Oct  9 10:17:34 smtpmailer postfix/smtp[27126]: 47E79249AA4:
> to=<i...@mydomain.com.us>, relay=none, delay=20, delays=0.07/0/20/0,
> dsn=4.4.3, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error
> for name=varsitygold.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)
> Oct  9 10:17:34 smtpmailer postfix/smtp[27128]: 5813B249AA6:
> to=<t...@mydomain.com.us>, relay=none, delay=20, delays=0.07/0.01/20/0,
> dsn=4.4.3, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error
> for name=varsitygold.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

With no 'postconf -n', I can only guess.
<taps crystal ball>
I'm guessing this is a non-existent domain.
Postfix accepted it because it was sent from within permit_mynetworks.
Postfix will bounce it after maximal_queue_lifetime (default 5 days).
If you wish to reject/defer initially, you need to add
reject_unknown_recipient_domain before permit_mynetworks in
smtpd_recipient_restrictions.
Note: reject_unknown_recipient_domain is subject to transient DNS
issues. It is highly recommend to have a local, caching DNS server.
</taps crystal ball>