On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 07:32:50PM +0100, St?phane MERLE wrote:

>> Note, this is logged by qmgr(8) not the smtp(8) delivery agent, perhaps
>> you are looking in the wrong log entries. If the message is (still) in
>> the deferred queue, it has not "expired" yet.
>
> Thank you so much, I was analysing the logs within the mysql table, and my
> converter (log to bdd), didn't catch correctly the status for expired
> because it is handle by qmgr and not smtp ... so I will correct my log2bdd
> converter and this will be perfect.

Note, that qmgr(8) may also from time to time log "status=deferred"
messages, but, with sufficiently recent Postfix releases, this is rare
(the "retry" transport has to be "unavailable"). Modern Postfix releases
defer messages for "suspended" destinations via the "retry" transport
(i.e. the error(8) delivery agent):

    2009-11-11T10:54:32-0500 amnesiac postfix/error[30129]: 5B07D88C666:
        to=<jlu...@example.com>, relay=none, delay=6017,
        delays=6017/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred
        (delivery temporarily suspended:
         connect to mail.example.com[192.0.2.1]:25: Connection timed out)

Older releases will do this via qmgr(8).

--
        Viktor.