On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:16:41AM -0500, James wrote:

> Hi, I am new to the arena of running my own mail server, and from the
> control panel that I was given, it seemed pretty straightfoward. Now, of
> course, I want to expand my ability. I run a couple of forums, and would
> like to be able to create a page where people can create their own email
> address, etc, without having to email me, and have me set it up for them
> with a temp pass for them to change the pass later. I can handle the php
> end of it (i think), but am curious if there is a command line to create a
> new user, with a particular password for a particular domain alias?

You are confusing Postfix (an MTA) with an integrated group-ware system
what includes a mailstore, group management, authentication credential
management, ...

Postfix has no "users". MailStores: various IMAP servers, Exchange, ...
have users. User provisioning for a fully integrated system requires
more than just Postfix.

You need to look for an integrated mailbox service that (if Postfix is
a key feature for you) has Postfix at its undelying MTA, and associated
management tooling for the complete system.

--
        Viktor.