Dennis Putnam wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I don't know
where else to start.

I am running Postfix/Cyrus on the same server that contains user home
directories. The forwarding mechanism (.forward) is, of course, working and I
understand it. What I don't understand is how this mechanism works, or even if
it does, when a user's home directory is on a different server than
Postfix/Cyrus. In other words when Postfix/Cyrus does not have access to the
user's home directory. Or is there some other delivery mechanism involved that
I am missing? Thanks.

Can someone explain if this can work and if, so how. If not, what do users do
in that case?
Postfix's local delivery agent (local) http://www.postfix.org/local.8.html handles the .forward file.

If local is delivering the mail to the user's directory, it can see the .forward file and should handle it properly. If it can't see the user's home directories, it can't deliver the mail or read the forward file.

However, delivery can be delegated to an alternate transport method or application, in which case local does nothing with the .forward file.

If you're not sure how the mail is being delivered, it would be useful to follow a single message id in the maillog file and watch exactly what happens to it.

Terry