Hi Viktor,

My bad, I was referring to this line in the documentation when I used $name:

$user
    The recipient's username.

In any case I think the light is starting to glow, albeit dimly.

The examples in the documentation are not very helpful. Is there someplace I
can look for better ones?

When I say on different servers, perhaps I need to better explain the
environment we plan. User home directories are on a SAN while the mail server
is not. The home directories are served out by a pair of SAN file servers and
users are distributed between them for some semblance of load balancing. While
ultimately all the home directories are on the same SAN LUN, the logical path
to them will be on different servers.

If I understand this correctly, I can set the forward_path to a directory on
the mail server (not sure what the syntax would look like based on the
examples). The hierarchy of that directory is not clear but one way or another
each user has a unique .forward file of some form. In order to maintain it I
can create scripts that access those files via 'ssh' or 'scp' or some such
mechanism.

How far off am I?

On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:56:41AM -0500, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that clears up a few things. It appears that this applies to
>> individual users via the $name parameter.
>
> There is no "$name" parameter. That is a generic place-holder for any of
> the parameters above it, to explain that you can use ${extension?foo}
> or ${extension:bar} (for example) to handle the case when there is
> (or is not) an address extension.
>
>> It is not clear how to handle
>> many users (surely I can't list everyone) which may be on different
>> servers. Is there a wild card format and/or a default?
>
> What do you mean "on different servers"? The forward_path specifies
> a local file on the Postfix server's filesystem which contains
> the ".forward" content for each user. Various ${parameters}, as part
> of this setting, make the path user-dependent.
>
>> Can the path be set to a mounted filesystem that contains the user
>> home directories? If no mount, how does the user create/maintain the
>> .forward file in that alternate location?
>
> If you want users to edit their own .forward files with "vi", "emacs",
> "ed", ... Give them home directories on the mail server, use NFS if
> that's sufficiently reliable, and the security risk is acceptable.
>
> [ Please don't top-post, and reply to each paragraph in-line with the
> original text "quoted" with "> ", as above ].
>
> --
>       Viktor.
>
> Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
> Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.

> If my response solves your problem, the best way to thank me is to not
> send an "it worked, thanks" follow-up. If you must respond, please put
> "It worked, thanks" in the "Subject" so I can delete these quickly.

Dennis Putnam
Sr. IT Systems Administrator
AIM Systems, Inc.
11675 Rainwater Dr., Suite 200
Alpharetta, GA  30009
Phone: 678-240-4112
Main Phone: 678-297-0700
FAX: 678-297-2666 or 770-576-1000
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is strictly
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination,
distribution, or duplication of any part of this e-mail or any attachment is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete all copies, including the attachments.