John wrote:
> Sorry to bring this here, but we are having trouble setting up a
> Postfix/dovecot mail system.
>
> Background:
> We are a bunch of retirees, so cost is a factor in any decision. We all
> have IT experience, some of going back decades, however the world of
> Linux and its software is new to us all. We used the cook book approach
> to setting up our first mail system. It uses Postfix/Dovecot on top of
> Fedora 8 and so far it works like a charm. While the cook-book approach
> got up and running fairly easily I think we missed out on the learning
> side of things.
>
> However, there is a growing concern about the basic OS slipping too far
> behind on important changes, the same goes for some of the packages we
> are planning on using, so we have started looking at alternatives.
>
> Fedora - a little too dynamic for use as a server. This is to be
> expected as it is a development system which I don't think is aimed at a
> production like environment, plus the latest release seems very desktop
> oriented.
> Centos 5.4 - while it looks like a good choice, there has been some
> political infighting going on recently which makes us a little nervous
> about its future. In addition we have found that a number of the core
> packages we wish to use are out of date (postfix, dovecot, amavisd-new
> among them).
> Ubuntu 9.10 Server edition - I am not sure what to say here. While at
> first glance it seems to be an ideal solution a, free server
> distribution with a Canonical backing it up. However, the setup of some
> packages seems to us "odd", overly complicated and arbitrary.
> openSUSE - not tied, but some concerns over the Novel /Microsoft deal.
>
> Thanks in advance
> John A

Personally, Debian Stable (currently Lenny) is my Linux of choice for
production system. Package management via apt is second
to none and everything is very well documented with a willing and able
community for support.

Why restate whats already written:
http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

When it comes down to it, the best distro is the one "you" know how to use.  I
would start with a distro that you are most
comfortable with and know how to use the best.

Good luck and kind regards,

_Terry