Stan Hoeppner a écrit :
> /dev/rob0 put forth on 12/5/2009 8:44 PM:
>
>> This post might seem like a gratuitous me-too, and it partly is, but
>> the thing that concerned me, as one of the people responsible for
>> the Spam-L list, was the rejection, in the original post:
>>
>>> Dec 4 13:39:15 greer postfix/smtpd[7124]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
>>> from unknown[204.238.179.8]: 450 4.7.1 <mx1.mfn.org>: Helo command
>>> rejected: Host not found; from=<spam-l-boun...@spam-l.com>
>>> to=<s...@hardwarefreak.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<mx1.mfn.org>
>> Unknown? Here's what I get:
>>
>> 8.179.238.204.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN     PTR     mx1.mfn.org.
>> mx1.mfn.org.            14400   IN      A       204.238.179.8
>>
>> That looks like perfect FCrDNS to me. So another issue you ought to
>> look at: why is your resolver failing on this? Is it consistent?
>
> Yeah, I know.  Already chatted with Alif about it.  This 450 temp fail
> is what started all of this.

I only whitelist 3 IPs of spam-l, and even before, I've never had a
problem.

>  I still got the mail obviously, but I
> wanted to figure out why my white list entry for spam-l didn't trigger.
>  Thanks to many here, I now know why and am fixing it.
>
> It's looking like I was having transient issues with my resolvers.  I
> did some more log digging and found more dns related temp fails than I
> should be having given my mail volume.  I've since switched from the old
> resolvers to the new free Google resolvers.  So far so good.  If I run
> into problems there, I'll switch again or setup my own caching resolver.

Use your own resolver. a default BIND setup does this. why do you ask
someone else? your ISP, google, ... won't give you a reliable DNS
service. I have stopped using mine (free.fr, i.e. the best in .fr when
it comes to "network ability") when my postfix rejected my own mail
because the client IP "was" listed in spamhaus. after checking, it was
obviously not. and the last poison story (the famous "bug") shows that
it is better to use one's own resolver (of course, this goes against the
cache story, but...).