Hi,

I am running Postfix 2.5.6 on a Fedora 11 Linux system on a hardware based Intel I5/750 Quad Core, 8 Gb memory, 160Gb SSD hard disk.

Incoming messages are entering very fast (500 smtp processes declared) and the active queue is actually of 2 millions messages waiting for delivery.

The delivery, for all messages should go through a farm of 30 MX servers from domain localpc2105.com, on load balancing through DNS resolution. DNS server is of course local. All 30 MX servers are running qmail. All of them are more than 90% idle. Before I set up my postfix server, email were sent directly to the qmail servers, and qmail was running at full CPU. So I am sure that qmail can handle much more faster. I have set up the postfix server to load balance the load between all the 30 qmail servers to avoid situation where some were running at full charge and others were not working.

Postfix server, 30 Qmail servers, DNS are on the same 1Gb LAN.

I don't need any messages or clients or recipients control at this stage. No anti spam, no anti virus. All this is already done by qmail servers, despite my plan is to replace all qmails by postfix.

CPU is more than 85% idle on my postfix I5/750 box, but the outbound queue is very very slow.

It seems that something refrain qmgr to work at full range, despite the parameters

here is my main.cf file:

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = postfix.proacti5.net
mydomain = localpc2105.com
inet_interfaces = all
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
mynetworks = 172.27.27.0/24, 10.0.0.0/24, 127.0.0.0/24
relayhost = $mydomain
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
local_destination_recipient_limit = 500
local_destination_concurrency_limit = 50
debug_peer_level = 8
debug_peer_list = orange.fr
debugger_command =
     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
     ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = no
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.5.6/README_FILES
inet_protocols = all
default_process_limit = 1000
initial_destination_concurrency = 100
transport_initial_destination_concurrency = 100
default_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit = 10
default_destination_recipient_limit = 200
transport_destination_recipient_limit = 100
default_delivery_slot_cost = 30
default_minimum_delivery_slots = 30
default_delivery_slot_discount = 100
smtpd_peername_lookup = no
default_recipient_limit = 2000000
mailbox_size_limit = 5120000000
qmgr_message_active_limit = 2000000
qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 2000000
lmtp_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
relay_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
smtp_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
max_use = 1000
mime_nesting_limit = 100
qmgr_fudge_factor = 200
queue_file_attribute_count_limit = 250
smtpd_history_flush_threshold = 100
smtpd_junk_command_limit = 100
smtp_connect_timeout = 10s
smtp_data_done_timeout = 10s
smtp_mail_timeout = 5s

Here is my master.cf file:

service         type    private
(yes)
        unpriv
(yes)
        chroot
(yes)
        wakeup
(never)
        maxproc
(100)
        command + args
smtp    inet    n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
pickup  fifo    n       -       n       60      1       pickup
cleanup         unix    n       -       n       -       0       cleanup
qmgr    fifo    n       -       n       30      1       qmgr
tlsmgr  unix    -       -       n       1000?   1       tlsmgr
rewrite         unix    -       -       n       -       -       trivial-rewrite
bounce  unix    -       -       n       -       0       bounce
defer   unix    -       -       n       -       0       bounce
trace   unix    -       -       n       -       0       bounce
verify  unix    -       -       n       -       1       verify
flush   unix    n       -       n       1000?   0       flush
proxymap        unix    -       -       n       -       -       proxymap
proxywrite      unix    -       -       n       -       1       proxymap
smtp    unix    -       -       n       -       -       smtp
relay   unix
-o smtp_fallback_relay=         -       -       n       -       -       smtp
showq   unix    n       -       n       -       -       showq
error   unix    -       -       n       -       -       error
retry   unix    -       -       n       -       -       error
discard         unix    -       -       n       -       -       discard
local   unix    -       n       n       -       -       local
virtual         unix    -       n       n       -       -       virtual
lmtp    unix    -       -       n       -       -       lmtp
anvil   unix    -       -       n       -       1       anvil
scache  unix    -       -       n       -       1       scache

I tried many combinations to speed up the delivery. Nothing help up to now.

I have look up in tons of threads in many places but haven't found a real solution.

I just found that Postfix could send 1 million emails per hour when I send less than a half million in 24 hours.

Please help
Patrick