On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, LuKreme wrote:

On 13-Jan-2010, at 06:33, Alexandru Florescu wrote:
The odd thing is that this actually works. I can connect and send mails
spoofing the sender's address, despite my postfix configuration directives:

Your problem is not with postfix. Your problem is with thinking SMTP is something it is not and never has been.

It's like LuKreme said. What you're seeing is a "feature" of SMTP that Postfix implements correctly.

And there are many valid reasons to be able to claim mail came from somewhere else. For instance, the university I attended provides us with lifetime forwarding e-mail addresses. Mail sent to that address forwards to whatever address I choose. I have no mailbox on a university server nor the ability to send via their servers. Yet, since I'm an officer of my alumni class there, I prefer to use that address for e-mail that is class business. The only way to do that is to send via my server and "spoof" the sending address.

Also, consider the analogy to paper mail. The sender address you put on a paper mail envelope is the address you want mail returned to, not the address of the mail box you drop it in (I put my home address on my envelopes, then drop it in a post office drop box at work).

-- Larry Stone
   lston...@stonejongleux.com